4 Questions to Ask a Naturopath about Crohn’s Disease Treatment
If you have Crohn’s disease disorder, come to Naturopathic Gastro for a holistic solution for your condition. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating Crohn’s disease with natural remedies and can help improve your overall health! Call us for more information or schedule an appointment online. We are conveniently located at 2330 NW Flanders Suite #101, Portland, OR 97210.
Crohn’s disease disorder is a type of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) that affects more than 3 million Americans. It causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which often leads to abdominal pain, weight loss, malnutrition and severe diarrhea. Crohn’s disease can occur at any age, but is most often diagnosed in adults between the ages of 20 and 30. Different areas of the digestive tract can be affected by the inflammation, and can vary greatly between different people. Naturopathic doctors can effectively treat, manage and prevent Crohn’s disease without the use of interventional or pharmacological methods.
What is Crohn’s Disease?
Crohn’s disease, a type of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), is a chronic condition that causes inflammation in the digestive tract, such as the intestines. When an area of the digestive system becomes inflamed and swollen, it can develop deep sores called ulcers. The most common areas affected by Crohn’s disease are the ileum (end of the small intestine) and the cecum (start of the large intestine). However, the disease can develop anywhere in the digestive tract, including the mouth, throat, rectum or anus.
What are the 5 types of Crohn’s disease?
There are five major types of Crohn’s disease, each defined by the area that is affected. They each have their own unique set of symptoms, some of which are similar to other types. These include:
- Ileocolitis — Areas affected include the ileum (end of the small intestine) and a portion of the colon (large intestine)
- Ileitis — Areas affected include the ileum (last section of the small intestine)
- Gastroduodenal Crohn’s — Areas affected include the stomach and the duodenum (start of the small intestine)
- Jejunoileitis — Areas affected include the jejunum (middle part of the small intestine)
- Crohn’s (granulomatous) colitis — Areas affected include only the colon
What are the symptoms of Crohn’s Disease?
The symptoms of Crohn’s disease can vary greatly, depending on the person and which areas of the digestive tract that are affected. Symptoms of the following areas include:
In the lower GI tract, or colon:
- Belly pain and cramps
- Blood in stool
- Drainage from a painful sore near anus
- Urgent bowel movements
- Feeling like the bowels are not completely emptied after going to the bathroom
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Constipation, which may lead to blocked bowel
These symptoms may also manifest if the upper GI tract, or small intestine, is affected by Crohn’s. However, when the disease affects the small intestine, it is not uncommon to be asymptomatic (experience no symptoms), which is known as silent Crohn’s. Silent Crohn’s can develop into more serious symptoms, including:
- Intestinal blockage
- Infection or abscess
- Persistent pain or fever
- Hole or connecting tunnel in intestine (fistula)
Crohn’s disease can also produce symptoms that affect one’s overall health, such as:
- Mouth sores
- Night sweats
- Unusual menstrual cycle
How can a naturopathic doctor help me with Crohn’s disease?
Naturopathic doctors may provide these holistic treatments to remedy Crohn’s disease:
- Elimination Diets — Many types of foods can cause Crohn’s to flare up, so it may be suggested to eliminate one type of food (such as dairy, gluten, etc.) until symptoms abate.
- Anti-Inflammatory Foods — Certain foods provide anti-inflammatory effects, such as turmeric, which can vastly improve symptoms of the condition.
- Wormwood — Used for hundreds of years for its medicinal properties, wormwood has been proven to ameliorate Crohn’s symptoms and also promote remission.
- Stress Reduction — Stress has many negative health effects, including with Crohn’s. Reducing stress has been shown to minimize Crohn’s symptoms and improve the condition.
If you have Crohn’s disease disorder, come to Naturopathic Gastro for a holistic solution for your condition. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating Crohn’s disease with natural remedies and can help improve your overall health! Call us today or book an appointment online, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 2330 NW Flanders Suite #101, Portland, OR 97210. To better serve our patients, our office is open six days a week: Monday to Saturday from 9 AM to 6 PM. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Portland OR, Beaverton OR, Tigard OR, Oak Grove OR, Battin OR, and West Haven-Sylvan OR.